Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Absolutes Are Better

All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not. I Corinthians 10:23

Many years ago I took a decision to stay away from alcoholic drinks. That means whatever the case I will not drink. I didn’t take that decision because I felt it is a sin to drink alcohol. Obviously it is a sin to get drunk (tipsy is drunk!) or fall under the influence of alcohol; it is wrong to prioritize social drinking to the detriment of taking care of the family.

But then what happens if I take a little glass of wine at a corporate dinner – that’s where I often get faced with making a choice. I don’t think it would be wrong to drink a little, but I still say NO!

Why? Because I have long learnt that ABSOLUTES ARE BETTER.

In any situation where the flesh or mind can develop a strong craving that does not glorify God, then it is better to abstain; even where a little is okay.

Very few plan to get drunk at the first sip of wine; or to become lifetime drunkards at the first mouthful of beer….

Many never plan sex at the first passionate kiss outside wedlock;

When passing on the juicy details of friends affairs; it’s hardly clear that one day your friend will get to know where the rumor started from.

I used to have problems with soap opera’s. Once I started watching, it consumed my whole attention. I dedicated the one hour of the soap to the soap alone. That translated to postponing or canceling any other appointment – official or spiritual to make sure I don’t miss any episode. The day I realized the influence on my life was too strong, I decided to stop watching them.

In life we cannot make choices based on what is right or wrong alone, but also on what is expedient and what adds value to life. Whatever doesn’t add value is best avoided.

Here is a site with interesting christian quotes. I hope you find it useful
http://www.christianquotes.org/index.php

No comments: